Today is October 17, 2021 -
1300 North Sepulveda Boulevard|Los Angeles, CA 90049|Phone: 310.476.2861
The Freedom Within:
Cultivating and Deepening a Regular Mindfulness Practice One Day at a Time
Passover to Shavuot 2020/5780, Launching April 9, 2020
Regular Practice is Hard: If you find starting or deepening a regular meditation practice difficult, you are not alone. In fact, most humans struggle to start new “good” habits. The Freedom Within will create various pathways and opportunities to play with creating a regular mindfulness practice. We crafted a fluid architecture to support you on your own, with a partner and/or with community check-ins. If you miss a day, no worries! Jump back in the next day, no judgment. We will support you to tether your new practice to an existing habit. Sitting five minutes, nine minutes or twenty minutes a day can have a powerful impact.
Benefit of a Regular Meditation Practice: There is now significant research demonstrating how a regular meditation practice will decrease anxiety, increase compassion and resilience, and sharpen your cognitive capacity.
Drawing Wisdom from Ancient Tradition: The Kabbalists appropriated the practice of “Counting the Omer” — of making a daily offering of grain for 49 days, starting at Passover and leading up to Shavuot — as an annual time of personal spiritual preparation for arrival at Sinai and the revelation of Torah. As we know 49 days may seem overwhelming and unattainable, we invite you to give yourself the gift of exploring 7 days, 33 days or 49 days of practice. Each period is a full and complete gift to yourself, one is not better than the other.
Go it alone, with a partner and/or with communal check-ins: You are invited to sign up with a partner or request to be matched with someone who you will be able to check in with as needed. You are also invited to sign up and enjoy the gifts of The Freedom Within on your own. Whatever will work best for you!
RSVP: Give yourself the gift of deepening or jump starting a regular mindfulness practice and sign up today! $18 inspiration fee.
Content of The Freedom Within:
1. A guided video meditation for beginners by Rabbi Benjamin Ross
2. Weekly seven minute video by LBT clergy delving deeper into one of the good characteristics (Middot) the Kabbalists assigned for each week of counting the omer: Chesed (loving-kindness), Gevurah (strength), Tiferet (beauty), Netzach (endurance), Hod (splendor), Yesod (foundation), Malchut (sovereignty).
3. Daily email (short) letting you know which day and middot of the omer is featured.
4. Resource page with links to meditation timer, links to articles, etc.
5. Online check-in on Day 7 and Day 33.
6. Culminating study, reflection and celebration on Shavuot at LBT 9pm, Thursday, May 28th after amazing Shavuot/Confirmation Service at 7pm.
Questions? If you have any questions please contact Liora Alban.